Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day

Sunday was a special day. Not only was it Mother's Day, we also had the opportunity to dedicate Bailey to the Lord. We're so grateful to have a church family that takes raising Godly children so seriously. Bailey made it through the dedication with just a few perfectly-timed squeals.



Mother's Day can be a difficult day for many - many that deserve to be honored and recognized for a number of reasons but yet are haunted by this day. Infertility, loss, estrangement, and other realities make this day unbearable for some. Our hearts were especially burdened for Brenda Gorman this Mother's Day. Brenda is grieving the loss of little Zia, whom the Lord called home last weekend. You can read (and please consider donating to their medical and funeral expenses) more about their story hereTheir story is a testimony of the unconditional, sacrificial love a parent has for his/her child, biological or adopted. The Gormans sacrificed much to care for Zia and be the family that everyone deserves, and they were so blessed by the short time they were able to be her mom and dad.  Please remember them in your prayers as they heal and that the Lord will use this for His glory. I can't speak for them but I've added this to the list of "things I'll ask God about when I get there". 


Today was Jenny's first Mother's Day with Bailey in our arms and is a day we'll always remember. I can't help but think back over the past year. A year ago, we were waiting for our dossier to be sent off but Bailey was already very much ours in our hearts and minds. We've now had her home with us for almost 4 months and I can't really remember life without her. 

Since the day we met Bailey, I have been so impressed by Jenny, specifically in her role as a parent...just add it to the list of ways she impresses me. :-)  I'm just so blown away by the way that she seizes every opportunity to love, teach, laugh, and/or create memories with Bailey. It really is amazing to watch her. She is a teacher through and through. 

A prime example is meal time. I see meal time as a task - feed Bailey and minimize the amount of food that ends up on the floor, in her hair, or anywhere else besides her mouth. Jenny sees it as a chance for Bailey to learn - how to communicate more, thank you, all done, to identify what she's eating and items around the kitchen, etc. I'm so blessed to have a wife and partner that invests so much of herself into being a mom. She is already serving as an amazing model of a woman for Bailey and as a parent for me.  Thank you, my love, for teaching me so much.

I haven't written much because I was in Europe for 10 days. While I was gone, I swear Bailey doubled in size. Or maybe just her hair did! She's doing so well walking on her own now and pretty soon she'll be running. She is so animated and expressive, and she's very adventurous. I love the confidence she seems to have!



I don't know what parents that had to travel did before video chat - what a wonderful tool we get to use to stay connected. Although it is nowhere close in value to actually being present, it makes the days away a little bit better, and gives me an opportunity to still be there, if only for just a few minutes. 

While in Europe I was able to swap parenting stories with a few colleagues - amazing how quickly the conversation turns to "parenting POOP stories" when you get a few dads together. It's always nice to know that so many others have similar stories to laugh and learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment